VP, Production & Operations, Original X Productions
Original X Productions (“OGX”) is seeking a Vice President of Production & Operations to oversee the global production of flagship and touring location-based entertainment properties.
OGX works with the world’s largest intellectual property rights holders to create memorable location-based fan experiences such as Harry Potter: Magic at Play, The Friends Experience, and The Office Experience.
The VP, Productions & Operations is responsible for managing 1) a dynamic Creative Design and Production team that produces world-class guest experiences; 2) an Operations team that directly builds out and manages and operates with 100’s of hourly employees across venues to deliver each experience directly to our guests while ensuring the highest possible guest experience reviews are achieved.
This position is responsible for overall project management and budget oversight delivering and operating each project on-time and on-budget and tracking and reporting against core KPI’s.
In partnership with the GM/Business Unit and Finance teams, this position will work to ensure established expense targets and margin goals are met, ensure accurate, consistent reporting and analysis of the business, provide on-going forecasts, communicate changes/variances, and make recommendations to achieve goals and objectives on a timely basis.
Here’s what you’ll do:
Oversee Design and Production Management:
- Design & Production encompasses visual storytelling, master planning, research and development, design intent, scenic design, audio/lighting/video design, graphic design, and art direction
- Production Management encompasses experience layout, architecture and engineering, fabrication, audio/lighting/video equipment, SFX, custom technology, labor, and logistics.
- Build out and manage all project budgets and deliver the most efficient productions possible on-time and on-budget.
- Develop best practices for competitive bidding for all design and fabrication requirements.
Establish an efficient process to manage the install/removal of each production to ensure the experience is presented at the highest quality and delivered as designed.
Oversee all Operations:
- Facilities Operations encompasses layouts, architecture and engineering, construction, permits and inspections/compliance, site preparation, maintenance, and repair, shipping and receiving, parking, infrastructure, equipment, supplies, signage, uniforms, utilities, security systems, and sanitation
- Guest Operations encompasses guest services, tech services, janitorial, health and safety/contingency planning, and security
- Revenue Operations encompasses box office, coat check, concessions, photos, premium, private events, and retail
- Staffing Operations encompasses staffing, training, scheduling, and payroll
- Communicate the SFX vision and identify opportunities to reduce expenses, grow revenue, and create efficiencies
- Support pitches and development of new projects
- Be responsible and accountable for the departmental budgets
- Make effective business decisions based on relevant data and encourage associates to do the same
- Identify strategic approaches for achieving financial goals through operational calendars, ticket package strategies, strategic sourcing, and more
- Consult with international OGX partners
- Balance day-to-day business needs with long-term objectives
- Collaborate with SFX Corporate Leadership to ensure successful projects and partnerships
- Drive innovation and best-in-class approach to projects
- Lead development of Production and Operations organizational structure and resource planning
- Work with HR on the the recruiting, hiring, and training process for a world-class team
- Provide direction and guidance to all direct reports
- Oversee team performance and offer honest and timely feedback and direction
- Collaborate with Human Resources on disciplinary actions and resolutions
- Identify opportunities for associates to gain additional responsibilities and develop leadership skills
- Empower associates to make decisions and learn from mistakes
- Recognize associates with potential growth and learn their career goals
Your strengths include:
- In-depth knowledge of production design and management
- In-depth knowledge facilities and frontline staff operations
- Self-starter initiative and proven ability to successfully lead multiple large projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to build, lead, motivate and mentor teams that are located in multiple geographic locations
- Multi-million dollar expense and revenue management abilities
- Excellent project management, organizational, delegation and prioritization skills
- Capacity for critical thinking, analysis and decisiveness
- Strategic agility and data-driven approach
- Gifted communicator with persuasive presentation skills
- Awareness of industry trends
- Collaborative and able to give and take critique and compliments productively
- Excellent relationship building skills; personable, trustworthy, empathetic, flexible
- Strong problem-solving skills and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to make timely, strategic, decisive decisions in day-to-day operations
- Fun, friendly and professional demeanor
- Passion for building themed entertainment, immersive experiences, and live events around TV, film, video game, consumer products, and other forms of licensed intellectual property
- 10+ years of experience in production and operations of touring location-based entertainment or live events
- 3+ years of executive or senior leadership-level experience
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- Willingness to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated ability to be innovative in a competitive business environment
- Competency in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Google Apps