General Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs (Remote)
General Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
OGX Media Experiences, LLC is looking for a strategic, analytical, and business-centric General Counsel (GC) to assist with leading and closing complex deals, structuring key strategic alliances, providing legal operations oversight, and leading business and legal affairs initiatives on behalf of the Company. The GC will serve as a strategic partner to the Executive Team to advise on new deal structures, optimize organizational efficiency and oversee and manage all legal related matters for the business.
The GC will be responsible for structuring, drafting, and negotiating strategic intellectual property and entertainment deals, employment agreements, real estate, client and vendor contracts. In addition, the GC will be responsible for developing systems and processes to optimize efficiency, identify potential new original IP and related matters, manage copyrights and trademarks, and preserve business records such as minutes of meetings and resolutions, as well as oversee compliance with corporate governance. The GC will also be the chief point of contact with outside counsel on areas outside the GC’s expertise.
To ensure success you need to have sound knowledge and understanding of applicable laws and regulations, and the ability to make prudent legal decisions. The General Counsel will report to the CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership team, and participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, business and legal affairs matters and operational execution
- Structure and launch the Legal Dept., including all company templates, contracting pipeline, hiring and mentoring in-house team, vetting outside counsel and projecting and managing Legal budget
- Advise executive, senior management and Board on various matters such as legal rights, and new and existing laws
- Structure, draft and negotiate all Company agreements, including but not limited to: License Agreements, Vendor Agreements, Co-Promotional Agreements, Sponsorship Agreements, Artist Agreements, and Operating Agreements
- Liaise with and manage outside counsel
- Support Human Resources on all employment related matters including: employment agreements, terminations and severance agreements, required trainings, handbook revisions, and immigration matters
- Conduct legal research and review the company’s litigation strategy pertaining to legal actions
- Maintain knowledge of operations and legal documents
- Perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights
- Provide training to company and its affiliates on substantive legal topics
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Juris Doctorate
- 10+ years of experience as a practicing entertainment within the media or entertainment, additional knowledge in trademark and employment ideal
- Overall broad legal knowledge (entertainment transactions, intellectual property, corporate law, labor law, litigation, etc.)
- Proven experience working on matters of corporate governance
- Experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team
The salary range for this role considers a range of variables and may include but is not limited to; experience, training, skills sets, business needs, travel. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $185,000-$225,000 This range has not been adjusted based on the geographic location of the successful incumbent.